Our favourite Victoria sponge cake recipe with homemade strawberry jam
The Great British Bake Off is back for 2022 and here at British Frozen Fruits, we are delighted to see a new set of bakers on our screens every week for the next couple of months. Whether you are a beginner or an accomplished baker, we think that GBBO is a great programme to inspire us all in the kitchen.
Today we're celebrating cake week and all things sponge with our all-time favourite cake - a classic Victoria sponge with a delicious strawberry jam, made from frozen strawberries, of course! Why not give it a go?
Classic Victoria Sponge Recipe - 8-10 Servings
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 free range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- Icing sugar for dusting
For the filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 6 tbsp strawberry jam
Make your own homemade strawberry jam using frozen strawberries by following our tasty recipe here. We love strawberry jam in our Victoria sponge, but there's nothing to say you can't use another berry such as blackcurrants or raspberries.
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Butter two 20cm sandwich tins and line with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the caster sugar, softened butter, eggs (beat eggs before adding), self-raising flour, baking powder, milk and vanilla extract together until you have a smooth, soft batter.
- Split the mixture between both tins and place in the oven for approximately 20 mins, or until golden.
- Once baked, remove the cakes from their tins and leave to cool on a cooling rack.
- Beat your double cream to create a thicker consistency that you are happy with. Once the cakes are completely cooled, spread your cream onto one of your sponges. Top the cream with your homemade jam and place the other sponge on top.
- Dust your cake with icing sugar before serving and enjoy!
Store your cake in an airtight container and consume within 2 days.