Lemon and Blueberry Loaf
For the cake:
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 225g self raising flour
- 200g frozen blueberries (coated in flour)
- 70g icing sugar
- few drops of lemon juice
- water if needed
Total time required: 45 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30-35 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5.
- Grease & line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Cream together the butter & caster sugar in a bowl until light & fluffy.
- Add the 3 eggs, zest & juice - mix until smooth.
- Sift in the flour & fold in until all the mixture is combined.
- Lastly, add the blueberries coated in flour (this should stop them from sinking) and fold them in until they are mixed throughout.
- Add the mixture to the loaf tin & bake for 30-35 minutes.
- To check if the cake is cooked, insert a cake tester and if it comes out clean it means the cake is cooked. The cake should also bounce back when you touch it.
- Leave to cool ready for icing glaze.
- Once cooled, mix the icing sugar and a few drops of lemon juice in a small bowl, if needed you can add a few drops of water to thin the icing out.
- When combined it should be a consistency which will drizzle easily off a spoon.
- Drizzle on top of the cake & serve.